Rules & Guidelines
The COSL Rules
Every participant of the COSL scheme is bound by and must comply with COSL’s Rules.
The Rules set out:
- who can make a complaint to the Credit Ombudsman Service
- what a complaint can be about
- what complaints are not covered by the Credit Ombudsman Service
- what the procedures are for making and resolving a complaint
- The COSL 8th Edition Rules came into effect on 20 October 2011 and apply to complaints received on or after that date.
Earlier COSL Rule Editions
Complaints received before 20 October 2011 may be subject to earlier editions of the COSL Rules.
Guidelines to the COSL Rules
The Guidelines to the COSL Rules are intended to explain in greater detail some aspects of COSL’s Rules.
In particular, the Guidelines explain:
- how COSL’s Rules apply to a complaint
- the policies COSL takes into account when exercising its discretions under the Rules.
The Guidelines should be read in combination with the COSL Rules. If there is an inconsistency between the Guidelines and the Rules, the Rules override the Guidelines.